Myers-Briggs by the Book

Have you ever done a Myers-Briggs test? That's the personality test that is supposed to classify you into one of 16 types, made up of four distinct groups. There's introvert vs. extrovert,
intuitive vs. sensing, thinking vs. feeling, and judging vs. perceiving.
I am usually an INTJ (The Strategist) or an INFJ (The Protector). I really ride the line on that thinking-vs-feeling thing. And before you start emailing me, yes I am an introvert. It isn't about how you present yourself to the world, it's where and how you get your energy. I recharge my batteries either alone or in small groups.
There are lots of ways to find out what your MB type is, so Google it and take one of the tons of online tests. This is important for the book angle we're going to talk about next. So go find out what you are and then come back. I'll wait...
Okay, now that we have that out of the way, Huffington Post has provided a handy guide that tells you what book characters most closely match your personality type. Are you a Huck Finn or a Sherlock Holmes?
Not surprisingly, I am either like Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice or like Jo March from Little Women. There is also a handy guide that offers career choices. According to that, I should be a scientist or an artist. Wow. That's quite a range. I did buy a watercolor kit this weekend, so clearly I am on the right path.
This is obviously a fabulous test that should be taken incredibly seriously. Well, unless you are an ESTP. The HuffPost item then says you are like the character from American Psycho. Sorry about that.
Here is the link, so spend the rest of the day looking up your type and those of all your friends and family.
You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Here's what I got: INFJ, Introvert(89%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Feeling(50%) Judging(67%)

    In literature: INFJs work hard, but are stubborn about their ideals and the type of work they would like to be doing. They're also often unconventional, complex, and warmly interested in people, like Laurie Laurence from "Little Women," Jo's scholarly neighbor who struggles with gender roles and apparently falls in love easily.

    Also, career choices recommended to me are literature, writing, archaeology, music, psychology, and philosophy... so I guess I messed up somewhere!

    ReplyDelete