Typecasting

If you've read this blog for any amount of time, you know how much I love words and that I am fascinated by typefaces.
My nerdy friends and I have ongoing discussions about our favorite fonts and the ones we really dislike (*cough cough* Papyrus *cough*). For the font that everyone loves to hate, there is even a website called BanComicSans.com.
Back in the day, the choice of typefaces was less of a chore. There were only so many that a typesetting machine could produce  and yes, I remember those days.
With the arrival of the personal computer, everyone was able to use as many fonts as their hearts desired. And suddenly everyone became an expert, which explains how Papyrus and Ponderosa became so prevalent.
I just found out that my font obsession has a name ― typomania. According to Simon Garfield's new book Just My Type, there are a lot of people like me out there who want to identify every font they see. For a fun sneak peek at the book and its look at the history and psychology of fonts, see Garfield's recent article in the Wall Street Journal (click here).
And the first one to correctly identify the font I'm using as the body copy in my blog will get a gold star.

1 comment: