An Ode to Scrabble

Last Saturday was National Scrabble Day. Yes, there is a National Scrabble Day.
As I have mentioned many times here before, I am a Scrabble player. And like with many other obsessions, admitting you have a problem is the first step. But can anything so right be so wrong? The answer, in a two-letter word, is no.
In my ongoing mission to recruit new members to my Scrabble cult club, I present to you a clever poem that will teach you all 101 two-letter words in the English language. Wait, let me amend that. There are 101 two-letter words in the Scrabble dictionary. Which is not at all the same as the Oxford English Dictionary. I have had many arguments about this in the past, and it is still the one thing I don't like about Scrabble. But I digress.
As anyone who has played the board game with any level of strategy can tell you, two-letter words are one of the keys to success. Well, that and memorizing all of the Z words.
David Bukszpan, author of Is That a Word?, is the creator of this ingenious poem, presented by Daily Beast here.
My favorite on the list (and the bane of my daughter's playing time) is Qi. That also happens to be the most popular of the two-letter words used in Scrabble. Mainly because it is one of the only ways you can use the stupid Q when you don't have a U.
So when you find yourself stuck with two vowels (AA, AE, OE) or a rare-ish letter (KA, KI, XI, ZA), you'll thank me for the reference.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you know I'm reading this with pursed lips and creased forehead. Full disapproval mode. When you can make more points by spelling "qi" than "inoculate," the game is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing..as usual i am searching for a very informative site that would give me some helpful ideas, i am glad that i saw your blog online..i have gained a lot of helpful ideas

    ReplyDelete