Ode to the Library, Part III, Little Version

So far my ode to the library has gone big – featuring one of the largest library systems in the country, and a world-renowned presidential library.
It's time to downsize, with a big idea that is changing the world in small ways.
The Little Free Library project started in 2009 with the mission to offer free books to anyone who wanted them, and to promote literacy for all. Looking much like an oversized birdhouse, the little library was a cheery neighborhood repository where people could pick up a free book, or leave a book for others.
Today, there are over 5,000 Little Libraries in 36 countries – an amazing achievement for a "small" idea. In fact, that's more libraries than Andrew Carnegie endowed.
The ability to provide books, and the joy of reading, to communities that are too small, poor, or remote for a traditional library is an incredible gift. I was quite happy to discover that there are two in my town, including the one pictured above, and I have donated a few books to them for someone else to enjoy.
And now I'd like to do more. I've set a goal to raise enough money to fund a Little Free Library. If you're interested in joining me, email me at readeatthink (at) gmail.com. Or you can click through the link above to the Little Free Library fund and donate today.
It's a small way to make a big difference.

1 comment: