Auld Lang Syne

New York Public Library - a.k.a. Heaven on Earth
Well, we survived that whole "Mayan thing" and made it to the end of another modern calendar.
It's the time of year to look back - and think forward. As I'm sure you can tell, it's been a busy year for me. And now I have a resolution to get back into the writing saddle.
Looking over the year gone by, I note that at the beginning of 2012 I had resolved to read all of Charles Dickens' books in honor of the 200th anniversary of his birth. I made it through most of them in one big bound collection.
Some of them were quite a slog, and I fully admit to stopping after a chapter or two on those. But I did reacquaint myself with my favorites like A Tale of Two Cities and Bleak House. I think my top pick is still Oliver Twist.
A few weeks ago, while in New York, I was thrilled to see an exhibit about Charles Dickens' characters at the New York Public Library. It included several of the real-life people that inspired Dickens, as well as many of his personal effects and clothing (including the fabulous pen-and-inkwell set that he used to write many novels). A great way to learn more about an inventive writer and to renew my friendships with characters like Pip, Esther Summerson, Bill Sikes, and Sydney Carton.
So here's to friends, old and new. And here's to more reading and writing in the New Year.
Dickens' inkwell and pen - sure to inspire more blog posts in 2013
The banner for the Charles Dickens exhibit

1 comment: