Zombie Sisters Rule

As you know if you've been reading this blog over the last few weeks, The Morning News Tournament of Books has been enthralling me. It is interesting to me to see how people read and review (and disagree on) certain "top shelf" titles.
Today, the winner was announced for this year's tournament. And it's The Sisters Brothers, a book that has been in award announcements and reviews all year. It's also a "zombie book," which means it was originally knocked out of the tournament by a judge, but the fans voted it back into contention.
I first noticed this book last fall when I wrote about the Man Booker competition (click here). I don't always like to read the books that everyone is talking about because they often don't deliver for me.
The Sisters Brothers is particularly hard for me to pick up because it's a genre I don't normally find interesting (Westerns), it has been compared often to Cormac McCarthy (not my fave), and it is often described as incredibly violent (which is neither a con nor a pro for me).
The interesting thing for me about this year's Tournament of Books, though, has been the very thoughtful and thought-provoking reviews by the judges. Today, all of the judges weighed in on The Sisters Brothers, and I have to admit that their views have changed my mind about the book.
I'm intrigued by the humor that is often referenced, by the idea that the author is "an amazing storyteller" with a "stellar future ahead of him." And who couldn't love that incredible cover design?
So, okay Morning News, you hooked me with your zombie by going right for my brain. I'll let you know what I think about the book after I read it.
And I know how you love lists (well, I do and I hope you do). The tournament commentator John Warner has provided readers with his list of "books to watch" this year for the 2013 tournament.
Even though it's only March, John? Oh well, I do like to see what's on a list like that, so here you go. And note the Zombie book. Probably has an unfair advantage with a title like that:
  • The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson
  • Threats by Amelia Gray
  • Brain on Fire by Susanna Cahalan
  • Canada by Richard Ford
  • The Master Blaster by P.F. Kluge
  • Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
  • Arcadia by Lauren Groff
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus
  • The Vanishers by Heidi Julavits
  • Flatscreen by Adam Wilson
  • The Angry Buddhist by Seth Greenland
  • Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison
  • You and Me by Padgett Powell
  • Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
  • In One Person by John Irving
  • Home by Toni Morrison
  • Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
  • The Cove by Ron Rash
  • Pure by Julianna Baggott
  • Dead Low Tide by Bret Lott
  • The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  • How Should a Person Be by Sheila Heti
  • Zombie by J.R. Angelella
  • That’s Not a Feeling by Dan Josefson
  • Carry the One by Carol Anshaw
  • Back to Blood by Tom Wolfe
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank by Nathan Englander
  • The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
  • Dogma by Lars Iyer
  • Gorilla Beach by Nicole Polizzi
  • The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
  • Mountains of the Moon by I.J. Kay
  • The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
  • The Sugar Frosted Nutsack by Mark Leyner
  • Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon
  • Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures by Emma Straub
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment